Thursday, October 1, 2009

Samsung PN50A550 I can't believe how good it is

I'll start off by saying that i dont know much about HDTV. I have been using HD cable box on a 30" Samsung picture tube HDTV (1080i). I did like that picture and the sound on my connected surround sound. When i saw that best buy had 3 yrs, no interest financing, i just had to go for it, even though i found no reviews for this particular samsung model/tv. I saw reviews for the older models from samsung on different websites, so assuming that THIS tv has to be an improvement i told my family to buy it, and i also bought it for myself. Being a plasma i am still in the process of breaking the tv in. I reduced the brightness, cell light to 50% and 5. The only thing/control that is around normal is contrast at 90%. I saw Lord of the Rings on "TNT" HD and all i have to say even with my toned down setting for the tv till the breakdown period (approx 200 hrs)is OMG. The picture was just amazing, really it was as compared to the picture tube hdtv. Maybe its the bigger size but it did blow me away. Regardless of size, the colors, black levels etc is what i looked for. I am not sure how the experts will rate this TV as, but i am very happy with my purchase. Its money well spent and i'll be happy for years to come. This TV does let you change advanced settings for picture if you so choose. I skipped on the professional calibration. Some folks may want it, and rightly so, but i believe that i can get the picture which suits me, in my house for my needs.
I will probably have to update my review after the break in period. By the break in period i just mean to keep the settings low for the first 200 hrs approximately.
I am enjoying my TV and it seems darn good. I hope and am sure that you'll enjoy the performance of this tv if you choose to buy it. I do belive in Samsung, that they are creating a world class product. I just dont see the need of spending twice the $ for a pioneer plasma. I am sure its a little better but not value for the $ as the Samsung provides.

Update a week later: Yes, the tv is performing more than what i expected. Also check the best buy website for more reviews for this particular tv. I am not the only one blown away by it.

UPDATE AFTER A MONTH: This TV has blown me away. More than what i could have expected from a big screen tv. I had been leaning for a LCD tv, but when i saw this, anyway i am SOOOOOO GLAD i bought this TV.
I agree with another reviewer here, to calibrate your TV but according to your viewing conditons. This TV has been well reviewed by other websites, but you should calibrate as you deem the picture to be fit to YOUR eyes. Yes, disable all electronic anhancements and then change the numerous setting available on this TV for as you deem fit.
The only thing i can't comment on too much is sound. I usually use my surround sound but do have to listen to the tv speakers when using with my dish network connection. I have HD cable from time warmer along with SD dish network. Of course the SD picture doesn't compare with the HD picture but this TV does much better in showing me SD that a older SD picture tube TV i was originally using for the dish network connection.
In the end, awesome picture, very good sound, excellent price for this TV from samsung and the fact that it's Samsung, should make you feel confident in spending your hard earned $'s on a TV.

Good luck, i am sure that you'll enjoy and love this TV if you choose to buy this.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I came across your blog http://pn50a550review.blogspot.com/and think it looks great. I thought it would be good for both of us to do a content link exchange. If you are interested please mail me at davidwilsen@gmail.com.
    Thanks,
    David

    ReplyDelete