Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Samsung PN50A550 Couch Potato Maker

Is there really a noticeable difference between 1080i and 1080p? You bet!!! And the Samsung PN50A550S 50-inch 1080p Plasma HDTV shows off the difference brilliantly.

First let me say how pleased my experience with ordering the TV on Amazon was. I ordered it on a Monday and it was delivered in 5 days...on a Saturday!

Okay, back to the TV.

The picture is magnificent. As I said earlier, there is a real difference between 1080i and 1080p. For the past three years I'd been watching on a 1080i maximum Hitachi Plasma, and I thought it really couldn't get much better. But it can.

1080p Blu Ray discs and Playstation 3 games in 1080p are both vividly more defined on the Samsung than on my Hitachi. At this time cable looks about the same, because the highest definition that my cable company (Cablevision) is broadcasting is 1080i. You can set the Samsung's picture to Standard (for a TV placed in a normal environment), Movie (for dark rooms) or Dynamic (for bright rooms). There are (several) other settings that the factory has pre-set and all look great, but you're free to manually adjust just about everything, and on that note....

I did have one issue that was really bumming me out. At the very bottom of the face of the TV is the Samsung logo, and directly below that is a relatively oversize, bluish, bright LED light that serves what purpose I have no idea...power indicator...decoration maybe? All that dumb light served to me was distraction; my eyes were drawn to it all the time, especially with the lights lowered while watching a movie. So I called Samsung and asked about it; I was sure that there would be no way to turn it off....but I was wrong! Customer service answered the phone with no wait after navigating briefly through a menu in order to get me to the TV people. The guy put me on hold for a minute and came back to tell me how to turn (what he agreed to be) "the very annoying" light off (the instruction also happens to be on page 67 of the User Manual). So no more annoying light!

I have set the TV's speakers to off, so I can't comment on sound. I use a Home Theater receiver in a room set up for Surround; the sound connections for the two devices (an HD Cable Box and a PlayStation 3 (60GB)) that I have go directly to my receiver (I think it's this one Onkyo TX-SR605 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver).

The TV has a USB port (called WISELINK) that lets you play MP3s & view pictures from a USB-flash-drive (which I'll probably never do either of on the TV), but importantly if/when Samsung upgrades the TV's firmware, you can download upgrades to a file on your PC, load the upgrade onto a USB drive and connect the USB drive to the TV to upload the upgrade (all explained in the User Manual).

So I am really stoked about my new Samsung PN50A550S 50-inch 1080p TV. I try hard to get to the gym more often or just get more outside activities into my everyday routine, but this TV is gonna make a couch potato out of me for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment