Monday, October 5, 2009

Samsung PN50A550 A Great Buy

I spent many months researching and shopping before picking this unit. I considered DLP, LCD and plasma very closely; weighing the pros and cons of each technology and then comparing the best products from various brands.

Why did I eventualy choose plasma?

DLP - biggest bang for the buck as far as size goes. Now while I do wholeheartedly believe that size matters in a display, I found many of the same flaws in DLP projection sets that I found in the old big screens of yesteryear - rather a dim and desaturated picture coupled with a lack of sharpness. Add to this the fact that rear projection sets are a dying technology and non-LED DLP sets have a lamp that will eventually burn out to cost me money, it is obvious why that choice was crossed off the list quickly.

LCD - definitely has the sharpest picture plus no worres about screen burn. Add to that a good level of energy efficiency plus a relatively light weight unit and it's definitely something I consdered closely. But when viewed next to a plasma set the colors just weren't as vivid on even the best models. Black levels are of course leaving something to be desired. Then comes sticker shock: the best LCD's cost almost twice as much as this model of plasma. And even with the new 120hz refresh rates that are so touted by the advertising hype hustlers, they still suffer from motion blur.

Plasma - deepest blacks and most vivid colors. Best cost to size ratio second to DLP. No motion blur. But worries about ghosting and burn in. And not as energy efficient as LCD.


I decided to take a chance on plasma and couldn't be happier.

I picked this unit due to its superior picture, simplicity of design and great price point.

Compared to the Panasonics this unit presents a better value and a superior image quality. Compared with the other Samsung (PN50A650) it has the same image quality and a better value. The only thing that the latter model Samsung has over this is an improved anti-reflective screen (more on that later) and an additional HDMI input.

Being as though I will be keeping my room dark, the reflection issue wasn't a concern. And three HDMI inputs is more than enough for me at this time considering I only have a Blu Ray player and cable TV to worry about. No reason to spend more money just for an additional input and better anti-reflection.

Now as for that reflection issue so often reported on plasma TV's, I have found it little bother. In fact it's less noticeable than it was on my old CRT unit. And if you're comparing it to LCD, keep in mind that the newer LCD screens which can boast near plasma like color saturation and black levels also have very reflective screens. Matte screens are a great choice if they are something you want, but keep in mind that you will be trading off for losing some of that picture quality.

For those of you still on the plasma fence and worried about ghosting and burn-in, my experience thus far is that you've nothing to fear so long as you don't leave the TV on all night with a static image on the screen. So far I've spent a good hour or so on the computer, watched several 4:3 sources, and several letterboxed widescreen films - all with no issues whatsoever. I run the pixel shift function when I can. I also switch over to the auto scrolling feature after I finish watching something or using the computer just to make sure. I've yet to see a hint of ghosting. And this is on a brand new unit. It's said that plasmas are most susceptible to ghosting and burn in when they're in their first one hundred hours of use. That makes me even more confident in this unit as the weeks and months go by.

In use:

The menus and setting are fairly easy to understand. The remote is backlit and well laid out, with large number buttons and the function buttons are easy with which to familiarize yourself. I especially liked that there is a picture size button that allows you to change aspects without having to enter any complicated array of settings to go through.

The not so great:

A lot of reports have come out that these units run hot. They do. Standing close to this TV definitely gives you a noticeable heat. But then it's not often that I'm standing within two or three feet of it, so I don't notice. But in a small room that is poorly ventilated or non-air conditioned you may want to consider that factor before you purchase.

Another common complaint people have for this TV is a slight hum. I can confirm this is also true. But it's not loud at all and you won;t even notice it unless you're in a very quiet environment and the sound is muted. Otherwise you won't know it's there.

The speakers aren't amazing. But be realistic: you're about to spend over a thousand dollars on a 50" 1080p television and you don't have a proper surround sound system waiting for it? You're going to watch Blu Ray movies with TV speakers? You know you aren't! Honestly if I could have opted to have no speakers on this unit (and no tuner for that matter) and save some money on the price tag, I would have eagerly done so. I really only tested the speakers just because I read so many complaints about them. Otherwise I have them turned off and doubt I will ever use them. I'm sure most of you will be doing the same.

All in all, very satisfied thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment